Another strange gearbox problem! :)

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

OK - as long as we're on the topic, I've got a gearset that will occasionally engage a gear if you have it in neutral and rev it to 10k+ RPM. Not nice.

I've had it apart to inspect everything, shimmed properly, all looks good.

Anybody experience something like this before? This is all on a '90 reverse cylinder.

...laterally accelerating to a track near you...
    The A reverse cylinder has a really fine line between being in neutral and being in gear. I found that once i eventually found neutral that i only had to put the slightest bit of pressure on the gear lever and it would engage!! I think its just a design/vibration issue and the answer is not to rev it to 10k without it in gear or with the clutch in. Just a quirk of the bike and age i think although it never happened to the A i rode. Is the clutch and all the spacers behind it still in OEM specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Neiltziom View Post
    The A reverse cylinder has a really fine line between being in neutral and being in gear. I found that once i eventually found neutral that i only had to put the slightest bit of pressure on the gear lever and it would engage!! I think its just a design/vibration issue and the answer is not to rev it to 10k without it in gear or with the clutch in. Just a quirk of the bike and age i think although it never happened to the A i rode. Is the clutch and all the spacers behind it still in OEM specs?
    Yeah, the clutch basket is good and the rest of it seems pretty smooth. Must be picking up some resonance, maybe the spring has gotten a bit weak.

...on the gas...
    Quote Originally Posted by cspargo View Post
    Yeah, the clutch basket is good and the rest of it seems pretty smooth. Must be picking up some resonance, maybe the spring has gotten a bit weak.
    Hey Chris,

Check the side of the shift cam where the stopper lever wheel rests. Sometimes the divet where the wheel sits in neutral position becomes worn and doesnt allow a nice positive fit. Add to that a weak torsion spring on the stopper lever and it will be free to move around easily...

Just another thing to check if you havent already!

Looking forward to seeing you in Road America in June!!

Jeff
    TZ250 4TW
    TZ250 4DP Ex GMR Racing bike
    NSR250SP MC21
    KTM 300xc

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

My '90 reverse cylinder did just the same thing at Phillip Island recently. It clunked into gear by itself while sitting on the front row of the start line and stalled the motor just as the race was about to start. I push started the bike and wanted to reverse back but by that stage the clutch was dragging and I couldn't get neutral. So I had drag it back while in gear and the clutch was dragging more by the second. I was pretty flustered by the time we got racing.

I don't know if it's a reverse cylinder thing. I now tend to sit on the line in neutral with the clutch pulled in case it pops into gear again. I'll have to check the shift mechanism.