Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

Ok so that would not be an identifiable issue then. By chance have you contacted the bearing manufacture? There has to be a reason for the outer race to shatter. They should be able to tell you what conditions must be present for it to break like that. Additionally if you mean red loctite as in the thread lock not bearing retainer, it may not be the problem but it is not the best application for that chemical. Loctite 603 is 10 minute set bearing and sleeve retainer. As long as you are ready to go you will get the cases torqued before the chemical drying process starts, therefore not effecting the crush through torquing. I will also assume you are using Yamabond 4 which is good but you may want to take a look at Yamabond 6b.

I have been racing this 5KE since 2005, built several motors over the years, never had a failure till June of this year, I always use Yamabond 4, didn't know about 6 but don't think sealing of cases is the problem, I actually have contacted KOYO USA trying to find out if their 6305 bearing is rated C3 or C4, they couldn't tell me & are trying to find out, I will ask them what they would relate the failures to, only the 1st failure resulted in a shattered bearing that looked like the picture posted by Eddy, 2 other bearings just seized & last time out a new bearing cage broke after 6 laps at Loudon, I suspect the cases are worn, but in some other way besides the bearing journal bore, which measures perfectly in spec. anyone else out there have their bearing journals wear & cause bearing seizure?

Sure sounds like you have covered all the bases. By any chance have all the failures occurred with the same batch of fuel and or oil?

this was over a 3 month period, always using C12 & Motul, I went through enough fuel/oil that I don't think that caused the failures

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

I had a long conversation with Roland Cushway, he was very helpful & generous with his time, as I understand it when my cases reach operating temp the bore increases past tolerance causing bearing failure, planning on having them "sleeved" as Mark Watts has done, also looking into Billet cases, as I want to be able to race next year & Billet cases will take a long time to get will try the case repair, looking to hear from anyone else with the 5KE case problem

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast