Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

if the ignition makes no more power than the standard ignition with the same curve programmed then it's not worth any amount.
    Of course. Spark is spark, whether it's from an OEM box, kit box, or a programmable box. If my ignition makes more power with the same curve, there's something wrong with the OEM box. If the OEM box makes more power than mine with the same curve, there's something wrong with mine. The point behind the exercise of a programmable ignition is not to use the OEM curve, but to determine - and then use, obviously! - the correct curve(s) for YOUR bike. 1-2 degrees here and there can make a ridiculous difference.

Spark timing accuracy is everything.
    Actually, I'll disagree with you there. Accuracy is important, but *precision* and repeatability is critical. If the device is consistently and repeatably 1.3deg retarded, you can correct that in the base angle; if the timing retards slowly due to inherent lag, you can account for that as well. If the ignition has good accuracy (triggers exactly where it should every time) but lousy precision (variable latency causes the spark to bounce around 1-2 deg, every rev), then you lose power because you can't tune closely enough.

I'll be triggering off the leading edge of the tooth (teeth). Why do you ask?

The 7 position switch is fairly useless as the only curve to use is the one with most power even in the wet.
    We'll agree to disagree. You don't need to use ALL the functions, and you don't need to buy all the toys. Some of these are options that don't need to be used.

I don't understand the "12 x 12 cells bit"
    You posted (I think) a set of 6 1x25 cell maps, that look like they are selected by gear (the attachment is really small and hard to read). What I intend to use is a map 12 RPM cells wide and 12 TPS cells high. Instead of selecting the spark advance by gear vs rpm, it's selected by throttle position vs rpm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spark Map.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	3108(obviously, that's not a TZ map ... )

No test spark function?
    Of course! Enter test mode, select the simulated RPM, press 'Start' - and keep your fingers away from the coils!
    Last edited by DonTZ125; 08-09-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    TTR Ignition Systems
    Quick Shifters - Inline Shift Sensors - Rev Limiters & Launch Controllers
    [ Coming Soon - Replacement Harnesses ][ Vapourware - Programmable Ignition ]
    Former (waayyyy former) RACE #125

...here I go again...
    The difference in triggering off front and rear of the lobe is front of the lobe is your max amount of advance, rear of the lobe must have some sort of algorithm to calculate the the advance in advance if you will.Front of the lobe is far more accurate. The latency isn't such a hassle 30us compensation is all that is needed. Zeeltronic/Ignitech timing is spot on 100% of the time.
    A few degrees can make a difference but where the advance is taken away or added is the real key.
    Good luck with the project be keen to try one when it's done.

...them shiny thangs sure are purty... dand's Avatar
    Don,
    Excellent project.
    Some thoughts.
    Data logging would be great. As far as I know only RTD Ignitions offers data logging and they only have 512KB I believe. How about adding 2 additional analog input for suspension Linear displacement transducers.
    What about traction control. Tall order probably as OEMs have invested millions into it I'm sure. You could add the hardware and deal with the software later. 3 axis accels, and front and rear whee sensors.
    Use power jet, along with timing retard, as det. Prevention. That is if the power jet is initially off at that point in the map.
    Dan Decker
    CCS / USGPRU #464 AM

Quote Originally Posted by EEKNOWS View Post
    Front of the lobe is far more accurate.
    Thanks for the explanation - glad to hear I'm doing it the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by dand View Post
    Data logging would be great. As far as I know only RTD Ignitions offers data logging and they only have 512KB I believe. How about adding 2 additional analog input for suspension Linear displacement transducers.
    I'm looking at an open-source logger for a variety of projects; I need to do some testing and confirm it will work with the processor card and tuning software I'm using. It's SD card based, and can handle up to 4GB cards. I believe the latest release actually goes to 64GB.

What about traction control. Tall order probably as OEMs have invested millions into it I'm sure. You could add the hardware and deal with the software later. 3 axis accels, and front and rear whee sensors.
    That might come later, with an upgraded (= more $$) system. Right now I'm trying to get my foot in the door, and fighting Ignitech and Zeeltronic both for name recognition and price.

Use power jet, along with timing retard, as det. Prevention. That is if the power jet is initially off at that point in the map.
    Now THAT I can do, and it has been added to the list of features. Thank you for the suggestion!
    Last edited by DonTZ125; 08-09-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    TTR Ignition Systems
    Quick Shifters - Inline Shift Sensors - Rev Limiters & Launch Controllers
    [ Coming Soon - Replacement Harnesses ][ Vapourware - Programmable Ignition ]
    Former (waayyyy former) RACE #125

...battling for points... vince24x's Avatar

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

the datalogging would be BRILLIANT. it is one of the few things (PWM PJ control is another) i wish Ignitech had. looks like you have both covered, which is great.

vince
    CVMA, WERA, WSMC Ex #224
    http://www.mobiusracing.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast