...a racing we will go...

Float level and jetting

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

I have a 1989 reverse cylinder TZ250. In general my question is: does changing the float level require a jetting change?

There is some excellent discussions that touch on this subject but I am hoping for some more specific help.

If I let my bike set for a period of time not running with the fuel on, the left carb would sometimes start leaking fuel. I cleaned the float needle/seat at least a couple times and thought it was fixed but it would happen again after a while. I finally checked the float level (fairly easy on a 1989 with a caliper) and found the fuel/float level was at the high end of the recommended level or even a little over. I set the level in about the middle of the recommended level and my fuel leak is gone.

The main is currently a 380. I suspect this is a little rich which is what I want. When I get the bike back on the track should I expect a required jetting change? I am not interested in wringing out the last 2 HP but smooth running with little seizure risk.

It's a difficult question because changing the float height is not a normal adjustment. Usually you set it in the correct spot, then you set your jetting. The float arm has to be parallel to the body.

If your carbs have powerjets, you should be right. 380 sounds like about 2-4 sizes too rich.

...a racing we will go...

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

Thank you!