PDA

View Full Version : Wiseco to quote ND5 piston, rings & pins

fredybender
08-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I have commitment from a few of you guys already (pricing pending...) on a group buy for ND5 pistons assemblies (14mm wrist pin, piston & ring)

Might also have few rings quoted seperately on top of that too;

I have been in contact with Wiseco for the last 4 weeks now, and one of my HRC piston is being inspected at this time;

I should hear back from my contact at Wiseco, within the next 2-3 weeks max, with a quote.

This would be a group buy, as I have 24 sets on my request for quote...

If interested on some pistons, please indicate so either on this post, or PM me for e-mail adress...

I will post back in this thread to indicate pricing & lead times & details, as they come in...

Fred

2stsmoke
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
You mean Seizeco.You are propably safer with Vertex pistons.

fredybender
08-07-2007, 04:32 PM
You mean Seizeco.You are propably safer with Vertex pistons.
Vertex pistons for ND5's are nowhere to be found:
I even tried e-mail Vertex, but the Vertex site is no longer linked to any e-mails; No Vertex dealers to help out either...

If anyone thinks he knows where these could be found, please fill me, and the 5 others that are on this planetary quest...

These are ND5 pistons (85-86-87?), 56mm bore / 14mm wrist pins...

PS: If there has benn some of the Wiseco pistons seizing, its because it was probably a CR125 piston that was adapted; As per my discussions with them, the dome thickness is critical for thermal expansion, which the CR125 was not meant to heat as much...

Also, their forging can be made with higher silicon content than before, thus reducing thermal expansion, and having a very similar to cast expansion coefficient...

I try to do my homework right, especially if this is a special run order...

Fred

2stsmoke
08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I used wiseco pistons on my H1racer and Rd400 racer.The clearance was set right.The pistons used to stick quite a bit.I then started to use ProX for my Rd.No more seizing problems.Forged pistons don't crack like the cast do but you better keep your fingers on the clutch lever all the times.Mahle pistons are also good.You may want to try those.Have them to make your pistons.Good luck.

parillaguy
08-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Just to clarify the plan. The pistons you hope to make will fit 1985 + 1986 RS250 (not 1987 or later). They may also fit some or all of the steel tube RS125s from 1983-1986.

A different member of this site has already had Wiseco make a batch of RS250 pistons for the 1987-1992 RS250s and 1987-1994 RS125s. As i understand it, the first batch were sold out and he may be making a second batch.

Now if we could only get parts for rebuilding the crankshafts we would be happy racers.

parillaguy http://www.tz250racing.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

fredybender
08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I Got an extra crank in a wooden crate: I think it has less than 80 miles on it...

I heard of someone in the US rebuilding cranks: He had a fixture for it, now its just a question of seeing if he can get the parts: I am willing to lend my perfect one for analysis, if need be...

Thanks for the clarification on the 87 pistons, Parillaguy, thats why I put a question mark next to it...

And yes; I will make an order (pricing pending...) on 85-86 RS250RE & RS250RF : HRC piston # 13100-ND4-701

I guess the 87 is the same 56mm bore, but with the 15mm wrist pin , right?

fredybender
08-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Got pricing from Wiseco:

Piston kit to replace 13100-ND4-701;
Including: Piston, piston pin, clips, and ring

12 piece run: 196$ US dollars

24 piece run : 163$ US dollars

50 piece run : 124$ US dollar

I have asked also to specify if we could buy some extra rings, and at what cost. Awaiting answer

At the moment, it looks like we could have a 24 piston run:
At my last count thats what we had with John & friends (NZ) Parillaguy & me...

John: My computer has crashed yesterday, and lost all of 3 years of data, and all e-mails... I know that you had some good quantities with your buddies;

Parillaguy; you had a set or two also...

These have to ordered in one shot, from Wiseco...

I could send them out via mail from here, but I have to be able to purchase them in one shot:

We have the pricing done, but I still have to get all the details about shipping, lead times, etc...

Please chime in and let me know if this sounds good before continuing, or I will have to kill the project in the egg, because this has taken a lot of time & energy...

Fred

PS: If some are sceptical on a buy because of my low post count here, please check my profile out : fredybender on e-bay, and on gixxer.com...

yammit
08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
I Got an extra crank in a wooden crate: I think it has less than 80 miles on it...

I heard of someone in the US rebuilding cranks: He had a fixture for it, now its just a question of seeing if he can get the parts: I am willing to lend my perfect one for analysis, if need be...

Thanks for the clarification on the 87 pistons, Parillaguy, thats why I put a question mark next to it...

And yes; I will make an order (pricing pending...) on 85-86 RS250RE & RS250RF : HRC piston # 13100-ND4-701

I guess the 87 is the same 56mm bore, but with the 15mm wrist pin , right?
Frederic ,
only 84 85 86 models had 56mm bore x 50.6 stroke
from 87 on they are 54x54

I have heard of a guy here using Husqvarna piston 56mm
and 14 mm pin but still needs machining so the wiseco or
vertex seem to be the answer I have chrome bores so any
rings supplied would have to be for them not Nikasil as those
rings would wear the chrome bores in nothing flat .

Regards.
John.L.

2stsmoke
08-09-2007, 07:07 PM
$163 for each piston?.

fredybender
08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
$163 for each piston?.
Each piston kit:
please read thread above:
Includes piston , piston pin, clips and ring.

fredybender
08-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Frederic ,
only 84 85 86 models had 56mm bore x 50.6 stroke
from 87 on they are 54x54

I have heard of a guy here using Husqvarna piston 56mm
and 14 mm pin but still needs machining so the wiseco or
vertex seem to be the answer I have chrome bores so any
rings supplied would have to be for them not Nikasil as those
rings would wear the chrome bores in nothing flat .

Regards.
John.L.
John I asked the rings to be specked out for Nikasil, as thats what was the original cylinder configuration...
I could ask if they could supply with ring for chrome bores too...

Could you pass on the latest info to your buddies that were interested in the group buy, and verify what they are runnig; ie chrome or Nikasil?

Fred

fredybender
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Got some news ont some of the questions:

So to Recap:

Piston kit pricing:

24 piece 163$ US

Can ship via Canada Post from Montreal (can fill out paperwork as gift to prevent duty & brokerage)

Extra rings are available at 18$ us

Delivery is 4 weeks after order placement at Wiseco

I would need to have commitment on 20 pistons for the 24 piece price;

Shipping to Au on a 10X10X10 (1.5lbs) box is 45$ US

As far as your concerns for the ring material, the ring would be Nikasil compatible, still awaiting info on Chrome compatibility

I would buy them myself, but I cannot afford the whole lot;

So pre-order commitment is a must

Fred

fredybender
08-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Group buy IS happening:
Now is the time to jump in, if you have not seen this before...

Order to be placed within a week or two max...

http://www.tz250racing.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif